Mmm…Goodness Tuesday Thriller
Everything everybody should be taking about on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Pop-Rock Candy Mountain: Because Life Doesn’t Write Itself
- Michael Jackson’s Thriller: It’s been 25 years since one of the most important albums of my life was released and to mark the anniversary, Thriller is being re-released, complete with remixes from Akon, Kanye West, Fergie and Will.I.Am. Stay away from the remixes, as they are terrible. However, Thriller sounds like a breath of fresh air. This was (is) a record that changed a generation–my generation, as were Guns N Roses’ Appetite For Destruction and Nirvana’s Nevermind. This album makes me happy on many levels; it’s also nice to remember Michael Jackson before his breakdown. It’s hard not to shed a tear as I listen to it…again, for the first time. (Look for a full review later today!)
- Jericho (CBS): It’s back…finally!!
- American Idol (FOX): The Hollywood round starts tonight. Cool. Now, I can see Whatshername and Who’sthat.
- Gossip Girl (CW): It’s a youthful version of Dynasty, or as I like to call it, high school.
- Delois Price: The mascot for Carl Hogan’s car commercials has gotten a haircut. Awesome-that gives me something to concentrate on other than the blatant racism of Peso Little. See her fake Facebook page here.
- New On DVD: Dallas Season Eight (I super heart Lucy) drops today, which is really exciting, as does Season Three of Family Ties (I super heart Mallory). Oh yeah, so does We Own The Night and Becoming Jane. For a complete list, go here.
- Polaroid Cameras: According to Whitney at Pop Candy, Polaroid is going to stop making disposable film. Dang. Now what are perverts going to take pictures with? Oh yeah, camera phones.
- Tupelo Young Professionals: They will be holding a benefit for the American Red Cross On February 26 at The Bistro on Main, beginning at 5 p.m. Go and mingle and help the people affected in North Mississippi by the recent tornadoes.
- Save Friday Night Lights: Well, since none of you watched it, the least you can do is help save my favorite show. What if I don’t get to find out if Tyra and Landry stay together? Will Tim Riggins go to college? Help a brother out!
- Haley Barbour for Vice President: According to the Governor, eh, not so much. Plus, DraftHaley.com has only 148 signatures. They are looking to get 50,000.
- J.J. Abrams: The Office episode he directed, Cocktails, airs tonight on TBS. It’s the one where Dwight asks the tough question: “Do you watch Battlestar Galactica?”
- Missisppii Artists In SXSW: SXSW (South By Southwest), the largest film and music conference in the nation, will see several artists from Mississippi heading to Austin, Texas for the event. According to the official website, Jackson rapper David Banner, Indie rockers Colour Revolt and soul band Wiley and the Checkmates, both of Oxford, will be heading West. Columbus native and Mississippi fiddler Ruby Jane (Smith) will also be participating, as will Tupelo’s Paul Thorn. Look for more updates, profiles and interviews in the weeks to come.
- Barack Obama: With big wins over the weekend, he’s keeps swining. Like Kool Moe Dee once said...”Comin’ back like Return of the Jedi…How ya like me now?”
- Dick Rice: No Dick Rice sightings on Monday. Here’s Paul Thorn (check out his Mile-High-Five Club on the right column) and his daughter, Kit, performing in Memphis. If this don’t make you break out into the turkey skin, well, you probably do not have two ears and a heart.